Sunday, June 2, 2013

This Weekend

Well Friday night and all of yesterday anyway. Today is dedicated to studying.

ANYWAY, so Friday was Dillo Eve. Originally, my friends and I wanted to go to either wrestlepocalypse or to the chemistry show on North Beach. (Un)fortunately, wrestlepocalypse sold out in under an hour and the chemistry show was cancelled due to the weather. But would that ruin our dillo eve? NEVER!

I suggested something simple:

"Let's go to the beach."

Here's some background: Normally, on a Friday night, people on my floor just want to relax and sleep. I too appreciate resting after a long week but, as there as only so many weekends in college, I also appreciate going out and doing something as to have a story to tell. Friday, it worked! Shelby, Boochi, Zurch, Mags, Mario, and Rahim all went for a long walk down South Beach. We stopped and chilled by the water for a bit but since the night was  young, we kept walking to the playground about a mile down the road. Earlier this year, I had gone to the same playground with with Zurch and Mario but it was too creepy at night, in the dark with only the three of us. Friday, it took an a whole new life.

We played like schoolchildren for over an hour. We sprinted for the swings and competed as to who could jump off the furthest. We attempted to complete an obstacle course. We played Gravel and taunted whoever was 'it'. Definitely one of the best weekend memories so far this year.

Saturday was the much anticipated Dillo Day. We woke up to a special breakfast (and free bagels!) then played a card game to prepare for the day. Following, my friend Sanchita and I went party hopping throughout the city. It was amazing to see all of the students who spent 99% if their time in the library outside, walking around and having fun! Even little kids were on the streets selling lemonade because they knew how many people would be outside.

Then it was time for Dillo. We met up with a few more friends and headed to the lakefill where we heard-wait for it- Walk the Moon! They were so much fun! The entire student body was jumping together, singing together& laughing together for a glorious hour. After, a few of us chilled on the rocks for awhile. We met up with the guys and then headed downtown for a burger from Edzo's. Perfect timing! On our way back north for Smashmouth, there was an announcement saying that Dillo had been delayed due to the same weather that had cancelled the chemistry show. At the time, we didn't think the delay would be too long so we were relieved that we didn't have to rush back North.

The delay turned out to be 4 hours long.

For the first two hours, people took naps to regain all of the energy that had already been spent for the day. I also relaxed in the lounge for awhile but then Sarah, a girl from the first floor, came upstairs asking for assistance. I took her up on the offer, not quite knowing what I was getting into but up for an adventure.

It turned out she was trying to save the life of a baby bunny they had found dying and left stranded from its mother. About 6 of us, some barefoot, took the mile and a half trek to the pet shop downtown. In the pouring rain. With no umbrellas. It was so ridiculous that we couldn't help but laugh the whole way there. Unfortunately, the pet shop turned us away and so we walked a little further to the grocery store to get some baby pet formula to see what we could do ourselves. Yes, six soaking wet girls walked barefoot down the aisles of Jewel Osco. And yes, we got several laughs. But all worth it if this bunny survives!

After finally getting back to the dorms, I came up to the lounge and chille with Zurch for awhile. As I had taken off my soaking tanktop and only had a tube top left, we made a running joke of me not wearing any clothes under the blanket I was using to stay warm. It was fun and I got to mess with a lot of people coming in and out of the lounge.

As people woke up, the lounge became increasingly more fun. We started looking up funny youtube videos, dancing to bollywood music and just having a good time. At 8:30, it was announced that Dillo was back on and that Smashmouth would be coming on at 8:45. Those of us who still wanted to see them got our rain boots and rushed back up north for the concert. The rainstorm had caused giant puddles of mud to form in the audience area and our rain boots only slightly aided us. Still, it was flashback fun. After, we stayed to see Wiz Khalifa come on. I only knew a few of his songs but when they came on, he was really fun!

At the end of the day, we all came back to the dorm, took showers, then met up in the dorms again to exchange stories.

Overall, a solid weekend. Now I need to study for my two finals tomorrow. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment